My goals for raising kids before I became a mother:
- May I teach them to be responsible for their words, actions and belongings.
- May I teach them to be empathetic, strong, and kind.
- May they value people over things and experiences over accumulation.
- May they grow in faith, love, and charity.
- May they learn from sorrow and reach for happiness.
My goals for raising kids after 16+ years in the trenches:
- May I teach them to put away their backpacks, shoes, and dishes before my head explodes.
- May I teach them to stand up to bullies and know when to duck.
- May I teach them to respect themselves over celebrities and remember to breathe/wipe/brush/flush.
- May they grow in faith... because if they aren't praying to God that I don't lose my mind, they don't stand a chance.
- May they learn from my mistakes and find happiness after they make their own.
Good luck, kids.