Tuesday, September 3, 2013

What to do with a Wonderful One Year Old (Art Edition)

Charlie and Lola are playing in the background as I write.  Connell occasionally glances at them between moments of pushing his little car around and alternately running his dinosaur over with it.  Charlie and Lola is my favorite show of all times one of the few children's shows I can tolerate, probably because Lola reminds me so much of my now teenage daughters.  I miss those days.

Television is, of course, not the best way to entertain a one year old.  It's been so long since I've had an "early toddler" (who knew there was a new category?), I've forgotten exactly what I'm supposed to do with him.  I've attempted a few art projects with varying degrees of success.

First we tried sidewalk chalk because I find art soothing, but can't draw.  Blaming my lack of skills on a child is my way of coping. it seemed like a lovely way to spend a few minutes as we waited for the girls to get off the bus.  

 


As you can see, the mess was quite an issue.  He had a great time, though, so we'll try it again... right before bath time.

I ventured into Michael's today in hopes of finding fingerpaint paper.  Pinterest has been full of recipes for edible finger paint lately and I thought we might attempt it at some point this week.  While I was there, I found this kit from Crayola.  It was $9.00 and I was able to use a coupon.  It includes 15 sheets of "magic paper" and 3 ounces of "paint".  The fingerpaint lived up to its non-toxic claim and hasn't turned Connell green or sent us to the ER.  (He only licked his fingers once.)
Yes, it says 24 months+.  Yes, Connell is only 12 months.  I'm sure CPS will be at my door any second.  




 It smelled pleasant and felt like slightly watered down Vaseline.  It spread nicely and Connell didn't freak out when it stuck to his fingers.  (The boy does not like to be dirty.)  The design under the "paint" showed up quickly, making him very pleased with himself.  The finished project is cute, though not nearly as bright as the package would lead you to believe.  It held his attention for about 3 minutes.  Not really long enough to do anything super productive, but it's something.   If you figure there are 15 sheets and they each provide 3 minutes of entertainment, that's 45 minutes to rush around and clean the kitchen while the munchkin is contained.  That's worth the $9 (minus coupon) to me!



Finished project displayed with my favorite Dr. Who Mother's Day card.

No comments:

Post a Comment